Friday 20 May 2011

Sweets for my Sweet - The Searchers (1963)

The Searchers,Sweets For My Sweet,UK,Promo,Deleted,7

"Sweets for My Sweet" is a song written by the songwriting team of Doc Pomus and Port Schuman, originally recorded by The Drifters. The group's first single featuring Charlie Thomas on lead vocal, "Sweets for My Sweet" reached No16 (No10 R&B) in October 1961. This was one of the few post-1958 Drifters singles that did not feature a String section. It also featured four female backup vocalists, all of whom would later have hit records, Cissy Houston, Doris Troy, Dionne Warwick, and Dee Dee Warwick.

In 1963, "Sweets for My Sweet" became the debut single for Merseybeat band The Searchers, reaching number one on the UK Single Chart for two weeks that August. The Searchers' version was also issued in the US in the spring of 1964 but failed to chart.

"Sweets for My Sweet" was also remade in 1966 by Don and the Goodtimes - a sunshine pop band led by Don Galucci formerly of the Kingsmen - and in 1967 by Chicago area Garage Band the Riddles. In 1968 Cashman Pistilli & West remade "Sweets for My Sweet" under the name Central Park West.

"Sweets for My Sweet" was a 1969 single for The Sweet Inspirations serving as the title cut for their 1969 album cut at Muscle Schoals Sound Studio with Tom Dowd producing.

However the only US remake of "Sweets for My Sweet" to reach the Hot 100 or any Billboardchart to date is that by Tony Orlando which reached No54 (No20A/C) in 1979.

Preceded by
"(You're the) Devil in Disguise" by Elvis Presley
UK Singles Chart Number - One Single
(The Searchers version)

8 August 1963
Succeeded by
"Bad to Me" by Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas

No comments:

Post a Comment